Jacques Wainer wrote:

I am somewhat surprised by the lack of critical perspective regarding the
$100 laptop, in this group.

Some points:

- efficacy. As it has been point out, there already exists the $100
  used/refurbished laptop, the $400 new low end desktop, the $50 used
  refurbished desktop. The main problem is not the price of the
  computer, but the existence of trained teacher that can make a good
  use of the equipment.

- security. Bandits will form a line in front of schools to rob the
  students laptop. If they are only marginally useful they will be
  selling for $50 in every street corner. Some of the vendors will
  not be thieves but the children parents.

- ecology. For how long can a battery can be recharged? My cheap battery
  lasted two years but I did not recharge it a lot, most of the time I
  am plugged to the outlet. What to do with 150  million or so heavy
  metal batteries in third world countries, in 2 years?

All your points are well taken.  To them I would add, the issue of
dexterity.  Remember those huge pencils in first and second grade?  Kids
under ten have them for a reason; manual dexterity is not really developed
enough before the age of ten or eleven to use a keyboard efficiently, from
what I am given to understand, much less a teeny, tiny keyboard.  That
pretty much rules out palm-sized devices or laptops with smaller keyboards
for primary school aged kids.

The battery issues that are raised are important as well.  Discarded
batteries are a hazard.  Access to steady voltages is dodgy.  Along with
developmental issues there are ecological and infrastructural problems that
need to be addressed on a case-to-case basis.  This requires lots of
planning.  As many have brought up on this list over and over again, in a
plethora of contexts, just throwing hardware at folks is not a good thing.

Jesse Sinaiko - Chicago, IL