Larry Press wrote:

>> So yes, fast internet is necessary. Definitely. But with less bloated
>> data, you don't need as much of a connection. Open Challenge: Someone
>> send me a Microsoft Office document, and I can send it back to you
>> smaller in an open format.
>

> Cutting a the size of MS Office documents is a good thing, but will be
> less
> relevant in the future.

So will Microsoft.

> Audio and video data and rich applications will demand more bandwidth.

They already do.

> Higher bandwidth also makes for ease of use.

Not necessarily. Higher bandwidth can lead to more infoglut. That's why
search engines like Google make money. On a global system level, file
size decrease is important to decrease the infrastructure... or it will
be like drains clogged with plastic rubbish.

> While we should make efficient
> use of the bandwidth we have (AJAX may help too with some Web apps), we
> should not settle for low bandwidth in developing nations.

Trust me, nothing I write should be taken as settling for low bandwidth
in developing nations. But using it wisely now can allow for more cost
effective growth so that more people can subsidize the infrastructure to
allow greater bandwidth. However, as I mentioned before a few times, the
main problem with developing nations and bandwidth is not as much
technical or economical - it's legislative, and in some business cases,
because of a lack of leverage small countries have against large
multinational telecommunications corporations.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad

http://www.knowprose.com