From: Jacqueline Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:20:09 -0400
Subject: Re: [DDN] Creating the $100 Laptop

I've found children have an easier time with some of my devices than I
do... The gameboy etc are really tiny buttons that I can't really
manipulate properly - my 6 year old cousin is a whiz. He's also much
faster at SMS and uses my cell to play games with a speed and
dexterity I can't match.

I however, can type a LOT faster than he can on a big keyboard. ;)
Basically because I know how to type and he doesn't. If he were taught
- he'd probably be faster.

How young is young? That's why I asked about what age the grades
are... I can see the need for big buttons etc in 2-3 year olds,  but
by 4-6 this issue is disappearing  - at least in the children I see
here. (trinidad and tobago)

Jacqueline

On 10/3/05, Taran Rampersad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jesse Sinaiko wrote:
>
> >Big pencils.
> >
> >Much larger circumference than a normal thin, octagonal pencil.  Maybe 1/3
> >inch in diameter.  I see kids in Chicago Public Schools using them every
> >day.  I had them (and hated them) in first, second, and third grade (6, 7,
> >and 8 years old aprox.) back in the early 1960s.
> >
> >Last year I heard a fairly comprehensive explanation about why they are used
> >by a second grade teacher and department head.
> >
> >It's about motor skill development and dexterity.
> >

> You may want to ask how long ago this theory was developed. I think that
> this particular theory may need some substantial updating... we've
> (mankind) learned a lot about human development since the early 1960s.
> More recent books on human development have been written since then. I
> think that this might just be a hold over that is explained away without
> thought.
>
> Also... think about how small the joints are in little fingers. A pencil
> that big is actually harder to manage because of the physical
> constraints of the human hand. Of course, I don't write like people
> would want me to write, I write like I write (you know, the whole 'move
> the hand', 'hold the pencil right') thing.
>
> >Obviously not essential, but helpful in getting primary school kids to
> >develop writing skills more readily.
> >
> >My point was about teeny keyboards and young children having the developed
> >motor skills to use them efficiently.
> >

> Actually, kids should have less trouble with keyboards since it's
> basically learning how to point instead of learning how to draw
> hieroglyphic lines with an oak tree. But that's an opinion,
> substantiated only with my own experience.
>

> --
> Taran Rampersad
> Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]