On Thursday, 3 May 2012 at 05:44:47 UTC, Ary Manzana wrote:
On 5/3/12 1:26 AM, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
This project is finally published and documented, so here's an
announcement.

https://github.com/JakobOvrum/bootDoc

bootDoc is a configurable DDoc theme, with advanced JavaScript features like a package tree and module tree, as well as fully qualified symbol anchors. The style itself and some of the components come from Twitter's
Bootstrap framework.

Demonstration of Phobos documentation using bootDoc

http://jakobovrum.github.com/bootdoc-phobos/

Very nice!

But why the symbols inside std.algorithm, for instance, are not sorted?

http://jakobovrum.github.com/bootdoc-phobos/std.algorithm.html

(they are kind of sorted by chunks...)

The symbols in the symbol tree appear in the order the symbols appear in the documentation, which is the order of declaration in the original source (DMD does it this way). I think it would be a little confusing if the symbol tree was alphabetically sorted, while the main documentation was in order of declaration.

It is possible to rearrange everything with JavaScript of course, but... I think this might be going a little bit too far.

What do you think?

Now if it only had cross references... :-P

If I understand you correctly, any kind of automatic cross-referencing would need post-processing of DMD's generated output. I am considering such post-processing, but it would massively change the project (a lot less would require JavaScript), and completely bind the project to the included generator tool.

I think the tool needs more trial-by-fire testing to determine whether it's good enough to be mandatory.