On Thursday, 1 March 2018 at 21:49:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

That being said, I think that it's a given that we need to make breaking changes at least occasionally. The question is more how big they can be and how we go about it. Some changes would clearly be far too large to be worth it, whereas others clearly pay for themselves. The harder question is the stuff in between.

- Jonathan M Davis

Personally. I think the D1..D2 transistion was great idea.

I think D2..D3 should follow the same principle.

i.e restrict breaking changes to major versions.

People are always able to stay on the major branch that they need - there are no forced upgrades here - you choose which major branch works for you. The source code is all there for you, to do as you please.

This is the only way to evolve - otherwise D will just become another convoluted piece of %3@f!, like C++.

On the otherhand, I wish programming languages would just stop changing so often.

The constant release cycles is just crazy! That's a sure sign that something is not right. And who wants to program in a langauge that is not right??

That's why I still like, still use, and typically still prefer .. C.

Nobody dares change it ;-)