3) Performance can be improved to (near) native speeds with a JIT compiler. But then you might as well as go native to begin with. Why wait till runtime to do compilation, when it can be done beforehand?

The point though is that with a JIT, you can transmit source code (or byte code which is smaller in size) over a wire and have it execute natively on a client machine. You cannot do that with native machine code because the client machine is always an unknown target.

But then again, even if we never do this, it makes no difference to *me* -- the current situation is good enough for *me*. The question is whether or not we want to D to be better received by enterprises.

Exactly, the *we* part of all this doesn't matter in the slightest, it's what the end user wants that matters. If many potential D users want to hide their code (even if it's trivially hidden), but D won't let them, then they won't use D. It's a very simple equation, but holding on to idealisms will often get in the way of good sense.

We already had one corporate user complain in here about the issue, and for everyone who complains there are dozens more who will say nothing at all and just walk away.

--rt