On 12/17/2012 5:28 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
Using PIMPL only helps if you're trying to hide implementation details
of a struct or class. Anything that requires CTFE is out of the
question. Templates are out of the question (this was also true with
C++). This reduces the incentive to adopt D, since they might as well
just stick with C++. We lose.

I've never seen any closed-source companies reticent about using C++ because of obfuscation issues, which are the same as for D, so I do not see this as a problem.

If we implement a way of "hiding" implementation details that *allows*
CTFE and templates (and thus one up the C++ situation), this will create
a stronger incentive for D adoption. It doesn't matter if it's not hard
to "unhide" the implementation;

Yes, it does, because we would be lying if we were pretending this was an effective solution.

we don't lose anything (having no way to
hide implementation is what we already have), plus it increases our
chances of adoption -- esp. by enterprises, who are generally the kind
of people who even care about this issue in the first place, and who are
the people we *want* to attract. Sounds like a win to me.

We'd lose credibility with them, as people will laugh at us over this.

But then again, even if we never do this, it makes no difference to *me*
-- the current situation is good enough for *me*. The question is
whether or not we want to D to be better received by enterprises.

As I said, C++ is well received by enterprises. This is not an issue.