On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 22:30:29 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 12/19/12 5:07 PM, deadalnix wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 December 2012 at 21:48:22 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Walter needs to chime in about that. One possibility is to continue using tags for marking releases, and then branch for the few important
releases that we want to patch.

Note that what is described on the wiki distinguish new version (that actually bring new stuff) and revision (that contains only bugfixes).

Does having branches that are not used anymore is a problem ? They'll not make the repository much bigger because the data is in history anyway.

I kinda like the idea that we have tags for releases not planned for long term support and distinguished branches for those that we do. Clarifies intent a lot.

Should something be released if nobody will support it ?

If it is in order to provide overview of what is coming in the next version, I guess the best option is to provide a snapshot of the staging branch on regular basis (and call it beta or whatever).

Reading this answer, I start to think that we have something pretty close in mind but fail to explain it to each other.