On 12/19/2012 4:54 PM, Rob T wrote:
One question I have for you, is what percentage performance gain can you expect
to get by using a well chosen bytecode-like language verses interpreting
directly from source code?

I know of zero claims that making a bytecode standard for javascript will improve performance.

The other question, is are there better alternative techniques? For example,
compiling regular source directly to native using a JIT approach. In many ways,
this seems like the very best approach, which I suppose is precisely what you've
been arguing about all this time. So perhaps I've managed to convince myself
that you are indeed correct. I'll take that stance and see if it sticks.

Not exactly, I argue that having a bytecode standard is useless. How a compiler works internally is fairly irrelevant.