On Monday, 28 January 2013 at 17:14:31 UTC, TommiT wrote:
On Monday, 28 January 2013 at 16:50:27 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
And, I don't see much point in having properties that are not allowed to have any side-effects.

Then you need something other than properties.

I think you're putting too much faith on the power of convention and on the similarity between your's and everybody else's notions of how much side effects a settable property can have while not giving the user any surprises.

Let's say your type has three properties:
#1: start_time
#2: end_time
#3: duration

Changing any one of those properties must (logically) change at least one other property. Therefore, you can't just pretend that properties are simple data fields.

That is no different from volatile variables. My notion is at least same as C# guideline authors, so it should be not that rare. It all comes from "property == variable" mantra.