On Tuesday, 2 April 2013 at 16:36:36 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-04-02 17:56, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:

In my experience, most of the time, you don't even bother distinguishing between the finer categories. If you can't open a file, well, that's that. Tell the user why and ask them to try another file. (I realise
that this is highly arguable, of course.)

I would say that there's a big difference if a file exist or if you don't have permission to access it. Think of the command line, you can easily misspell a filename, or forget to use "sudo".

This illustrates my point nicely! What does the shell do in this case? It treats both errors the same: It prints an error message and returns to the command line. It does not magically try to guess the filename, find a way to get you permission, etc.

Lars