On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:54:06 -0400, Jacob Carlborg <d...@me.com> wrote:

On 2013-04-02 19:02, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

Right, but what I see here is that the language uses one set of criteria
to determine whether it should catch, but it's difficult to use that
same criteria in order to process the exception.  It's not easy to
switch on a class type, in fact it's downright ugly (maybe we need to
come up with a way to do that in normal code too).

That's kind of breaking the whole point of OO and virtual functions, you should not need to know the exact type.

The example dictates we determine why the exception is thrown, yet that we can't catch the exact type, because we would have to duplicate the code block.

So we somehow have to catch the base type and then manually verify it's one of the types we want, and rethrow otherwise. If there is a better idea, I'd love to hear it.

-Steve