On Monday, 24 June 2013 at 02:39:30 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 6/23/13 11:51 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
I think it is just an accident of history that mod_php ever got used. Classic cgi implementations were still slow enough (especially with an interpreted language) that people wanted to try something else, but the other world of options hadn't taken root yet either (I think mod_php even slightly predates fastcgi's introduction), and continues to exist
just out of inertia.

OK so what's the way to go now? One process per request? Seems heavy to me seeing as most requests last very little.

Andrei

One process/thread per CPU core + async I/O.
FastCGI as simple alternative (it is similar to CGI but does not respawn process after processing request).