But no matter. My most significant bit is, we need a trie lexer
generator ONLY from the token strings, no TK_XXX user-provided symbols
necessary. If all we need is one language (D) this is a non-issue
because the library writer provides the token definitions. If we need to
support user-provided languages, having the library manage the string ->
small integer mapping becomes essential.

It's good to get rid of the symbol names.
You should try to map the strings onto an enum so that final switch works.

final switch (t.type_)
{
case t!"<<": break;
// ...