On 12/5/13, 3:09 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
On Thursday, 5 December 2013 at 07:58:10 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
* Not a single person need to have all different platforms to create a
release

We'll need to move to building linux distribution specific build to fix
issues with shared library dependencies, so it's even more platforms.

Which ones specifically? Does Ubuntu and Fedora suffice or are there others that need to be included?

* We don't need to rely on someone else to build packages for a given
platform. He/she may be away for a few days and suddenly we can't get
a release for a given platform

Automation is definitely a good solution.

* It's reproducible. We're creating the release on the same machines
every time

I think a good solution would be to prepare clean virtualbox images that
are used for building.

I crashed my system so I had to start over with a fresh installation/configuration. The following images are installed within VirtualBox:

        OS X 10.9
        Ubuntu 12.04
        Fedora 19
        FreeBSD 9.2
        Windows 7 [1]

All images are 64 bits and allotted 20.00 GB fixed storage, 32 MB Video Memory, and enabled Bridge network adapter. The base system is currently a MacMini running OSX 10.9 but will be upgraded to a Mac Pro in the near future. Are there any other OS's that should be included?

Not sure what the correct configuration should be but I do know that, at my current level of expertise, configuring them can be a pain in the arse.... Are there any scripts available to configure/secure these operating systems? Any suggestions regarding configuration to eliminate problems during build process?

[1] There is not yet a windows image installed as I do not have an installation CD.

Thanks,
Andrew