Walter Bright:

Needing a tool to refactor code is a bit of a mystery to me. I've never used one, and never felt that not having one inhibited me from refactoring.

When you have experience and you know how to do things, you have a great temptation of keep doing it, and limit your explorations and study of alternatives. But this could lead to missed opportunities and crystallization of skills. One strategy to avoid this pitfall is to allocate some time to learn different things, but often this is not enough. A way to improve the situation is to work for some time with a person aged very differently. Younger people seem ignorant, but teaching them for some time is not a waste of time because their age helps them being not burdened by very old ways of doing things, and they teach back you a lot.

Refactoring tools are an important part of modern programming. If you don't understand why, then I suggest you to stop debugging D for few days, install a modern IDE, find a good open source Java project on GitHub, and follow some tutorials that explain how to refactor Java code. In few days you could send some patches to the project and learn what modern IDEs do. It's even better if you find some younger person willing to work with you in this, but this is not essential :-)

Bye,
bearophile