On Sunday, 19 January 2014 at 03:38:30 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:

Since Aurora has a pluggable backend for rendering I feel that it will be prudent to use the low-level API's that are best suited to each platform. This will Aurora to support each platform as best as possible. As I currently can tell the following list represents

System           2D API   / 3D API
Linux             X11      / OpenGL 4.3
Android         Canvas   / OpenGL ES 3.0
OSX                 Quartz2D / OpenGL 4.3
iOS                 Quartz2D / OpenGL ES 3.0
Windows         Direct2D / Direct3D 11
Windows RT     Direct2D / Direct3D 11

I'm not really sold on the 2D API not written on top of the 3D API.
Either way, I don't think X11 should be used instead of OpenGL.
I think you should target D3D9 instead of D3D11 on Windows.