On 3/13/14, 9:23 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
"Andrei Alexandrescu"  wrote in message

After much deliberation, we believe we are right in our decision to
not make final the default.

If I've absorbed the information correctly, you think the change is good
but the breakage would be too large.

That is correct. If I did things over again, I'd probably favor defaulting to final. However, it is my belief that this particular design choice does not make nearly as dramatic a difference as some people seem to believe.

This thread has had people from several 'industry' D users stating that
they do not have a problem with well planned breaking changes, and I'm
not sure why you feel differently about this.

I have seen those messages as well. I have argued at length why I feel differently about this, including how I see the numbers working in this forum. As far as I can tell you are not convinced, so repeating those arguments would not help.

Why are you so sure this change is too much breakage to be acceptable?

I don't know how to answer this. Again, I can only assume that whatever justification I reiterate it's unlikely to help any.

Where exactly is the line between 'worth it' and 'too big'?

I know a guy who knows exactly where it is. He's a liar :o). This is clearly a rhetorical question, but in this case I believe the change is not worth it.