Before doing anything I'd suggest trying to reach main DMD/Phobos developers and ask them what kind of tools they feel lacking and what they would personally use. Such solution is only useful if it solves real problems of developers and thus is not viewed as additional maintenance burden. As Andrei has mentioned, there was one attempt of using Trello for similar purposed some time ago and it didn't catch up.

At the same time I do believe current project management facilities are lacking for internally and externally. During Berlin meetup Martin Nowak has mentioned that he would be interested in some sort of priority communication channel among core developers to be able to organize some focused efforts - I guess that is also something related.