On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 at 21:38:14 UTC, Joakim wrote:
The finance guys seem to be coming on board, the Dconf '15 talk by the fund guy, Smith, probably helps. I thought this was a nice endorsement recently, a reddit comment by a high-frequency trader which ended with:

"[W]e've loved D so much that we're in the middle of a full rewrite from C++11 to D. The productivity boost is absolutely worth it."
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3cg1r0/lessons_learned_writing_a_filesystem_in_d/csvyxn8

But it doesn't say why. Did they evaluate Rust too?

Granted, everyone can find several very good reasons to dislike C++, so any reasonable language that can replace it can be said to have an advantage if that dislike is present on a C++ team...

But as far as C/C++ replacement languages go, there are several focusing on being more suitable than C++ for specific niches: Rust, Go, Chapel, Vala…

The more generic ones like D, Loci, etc appears to be less used. I assume the lack of a specific edge over C++ matters.

And as I've said before, focusing on a domain means you optimize for it, which inevitably means you become less general.

Not really, you just focus your effort at making it work really well for a particular domain. Like C++ with extensions for a specific purpose.

Php has proven to be highly optimized for the web programming domain, in that it is highly successful at being chosen for many web projects, but almost nobody would want to use it for anything else, for a variety of reasons, but mainly that the qualities that make it successful on the web hurt it in other domains.

Well, Php is quite horrible for web programming too, but they gained traction for many of the same reasons perl did:

- It was easy to get started with when you needed 10-50 lines of scripting in 500 lines of HTML.

- Provided library interfaces that was similar to Unix/C-libraries (really awful, but easy to get started)

- Early adopters, there was no real competition outside perl

- It got "bundled" with web-servers one way or the other.

languages. Even if the pendulum doesn't swing all the way back as far as we think it will for general-purpose native languages, that's a very large niche, one with few choices- C, C++, D, Rust, Go (the first two legacy)- and well worth competing in.

But I think Rust and Go are focusing on specific domains. I think people pick languages now looking for specific characteristics that match their domain. I think the overlap between Rust and Go is rather small.

roaring past D. If your only point is that it's done better than it has a right to because it has a very specific strength,

I'd say that Erlang captured a market despite shortcoming because it was the only easy-way-out. And you probably could say that about PhP too.