On Thursday, 23 July 2015 at 08:16:11 UTC, Joakim wrote:
[...]
Yes, they both captured smaller markets and stopped there, unable to go further. D is aiming for a bigger market.

Personally I think you both make good points, D really shines as a general purpose language, and I wouldn't want to change that. But getting D to be a go to language for a niche market would help D a lot in terms of adoption, and getting contributors.

As others have said before in this thread, I think where D could actually make progress in is in game dev as it has such a massive set of needs. D covers a lot of its needs really well, and focusing on game dev would not make D itself very niche. Also game dev does not really have a go to language other than C or C++, so D could really make progress in there as it already trying to be a C++ replacement. I don't see go or rust being used seriously in game dev either, so less competition.

Though it seems like D is already be moving in that direction. Color and image being worked on, allocators and less reliance on GC, and all the great game dev related packages in dub, D is already moving towards good game dev. Some basic vector math in phobos would really be a great addition as well.