Hi Mike, thanks for taking the time to answer.
If I understand you correctly, you're advising me to keep my file hierarchy mostly in sync with my module hierarchy (except for one potential leading "src/" or "libs/" that I would add to the import search directories). That's fine with me.

However, what's the point of having module declarations directives in the language then?

If I understand correctly, the only way to make an interesting use of these directives makes separate compilation impossible.

I know dmd is lightning-fast and everything, and not having to manage build dependencies anymore is very attractive.

However, we still need separate compilation. Otherwise your turnaround time is going to resemble a tractor pulling competition as your project grows. Recompiling everything everytime you change one module is not an option ; Some of the source files I work on in my company require 30s to compile *alone* ; it's easy to reach, especially when the language has features like templates and CTFE (Pegged anyone?).