On Friday, 21 September 2018 at 01:04:51 UTC, Joakim wrote:
On Friday, 21 September 2018 at 00:47:27 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
Of course, D can also take ages to compile one line of code. It all depends on that that line is doing... ctfe and templates are slow. C or Java style code compiling in D is very fast.

I was going to say this too, ie how much of that Jai code is run at compile-time, how much is uninstantiated templates that is just skipped over like D does, and how much is templates instantiated many times? Lines of code is not a good enough measure with those programming constructs.

I was just building the stdlib tests with LDC yesterday and they took so much memory on a new Linux/x64 VPS with 2GB of RAM that I had spun up that I couldn't even ssh in anymore. I eventually had to restart the VPS and add a swapfile, which I usually have but simply hadn't bothered with yet for this new Ubuntu 18.04 VPS. The stdlib tests instantiate a ton of templates.

Sure, all true, but from what I've seen of Jai, it's not a simple language, and it does a decent amount of compile time stuff, but who knows, maybe the code is simple indeed. I remember a demo where he ran a game at compile time and was also fast AFAIR. I think that his goal is to keep it fast regardless of which features are used though. I hope.

Regardless, you can't really claim X compiles fast if that's only true on a subset of the language features. Cause otherwise the statement "X compiles fast" is, well, just not true ;)