Mike Parker wrote:
Walter Bright wrote:
Yigal Chripun wrote:
I've thought about building such a system for these forums many times.
Registration would not be required to post, but registering would enable features like voting on posts, establishing a profile, preferences, etc.

That sounds awesome. Another useful feature would be storing session info in the profile such that if I read a post at work the post will be marked as such when I use a different computer/news-reader like my home PC.

Yup. What I hate about reddit/slashdot/ycombinator is there's no way to mark ones I've read as read. On a long thread, it's really hard to see if there's anything new.

wouldn't it be easier to just use web forums (there are many existing system with all the bells and whistles) and write a news-gateway for it than to implement all the features for the current news-server? it'll also fix the currently broken web interface for the NG.

They all suck. Sorry.

Most use far too much vertical space, spreading the thread out over multiple pages, or don't indent a threaded view. And *none* of them have the ability to mark what you've read.

Most of the web forums I use can be configured per user to determine how many threads to show on one page, or how many posts to show in the thread per page. All of the popular forums these days have features to mark posts as read, mark all read, show posts since last visit, and so on. My particular favorite is SMF[1].

FWIW, this is the only set of newsgroups I read. In fact, I thought I had unsubscribed from my last newsgroup in the late 90s, and was a bit miffed to see that D didn't have a mailing list when I first stumbled across it. All of the other development communities I'm interested in offer mailing lists or web forums. I particularly like mailing lists, since I use GMail. It makes a world of difference. Searching through these newsgroups can be aggravating. If we could get on Google Groups I'd have less to gripe about.

IMO, newsgroups should just die. But I seem to be in the minority here.

Just a quick perspective from someone new here. The fact that things were done though newsgroups did put me off for a while (I read the though the website and tried the language - D is a fantastic idea BTW - but I didn't look at the newsgroups for quite a while because newsgroups were before my time).

I actually like the newsgroup format (more than modern web forums) now that I've gone to the trouble of setting up Thunderbrid but I guess they did put me off initially.

Well, that's one data point for you.