Hello Nick,

"BCS" <n...@anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ff1b9ca8cd1c2c66c86...@news.digitalmars.com...

Hello Nick,

"BCS" <n...@anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ff1b9958cd1bfa01297...@news.digitalmars.com...
Hello Nick,

Ugh, don't even get me started on MicroSD. Ordinary SD is already
too small if you ask me, although I still put up with it anyway.
Now MicroSD, well I can't say anything about it without raising my
blood pressure...

My point was that space (volume) is not what limits how much space
(GB) a phone has.

And my link dispelled that myth. Try putting 200GB+ into a MicroSD
form factor at the cost of a 2.5" HDD. Yea, eventually that'll
happen, but by then I could get a HDD many times bigger than that
for the same price.

I wouldn't. I'd put it in a package about 4-5 times as big and mount
it on the PC board. Besides, what the heck do you need more than
about 32GB for on a phone? If you need to shoot that much video, get
a real camera!

Like I said, there's two kinds of "phones": "phone" phones, and PDA
"phones". For the former, I *still* agree with you. For the latter: If
I were going to blow the money on a "smartphone" (as they're calling
them now) or on some sort of iPad-like device (which is the other
thing I've been talking about), I would expect it to replace a
dedicated camera and a dedicated portable music player. And they can
easily do so just by slapping a HDD in there. (BTW, by current music
player, which also does video - a feature I rather like is 40GB and I
find it uncomfortably tight. Plus, with that tightness, I can't really
use it as an external HDD, which I used to do, and found very
helpful.) I'm not interested in toting around twenty different
gadgets. There can be only one!

Stuff a person has to store expands to fit the space they have to store it in. It's some kind of immutable law of nature that transcends computers and closet space. If you had 4.5TB of storage space, then you'd just want to store 5TB. The solution isn't more storage space as that just stalls the problem for about 10min/Mb.

--
... <IXOYE><