Hello Nick,

"BCS" <n...@anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ff1b9068cd1bc36b696...@news.digitalmars.com...

Hello Nick,

In and of itself, maybe. But thinness typically necessitates other
design compromises, all for a "benefit" that is, as you say,
petty.

What compromises?  What is it missing that could be there if it
were thicker?

Compromises that often need to be made for ultra-thin devices:

- Low storage space due to lack of room for hard drive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-k
eywords=32+gb+micro+sd&x=0&y=0

Ugh, don't even get me started on MicroSD. Ordinary SD is already too
small if you ask me, although I still put up with it anyway. Now
MicroSD, well I can't say anything about it without raising my blood
pressure...

My point was that space (volume) is not what limits how much space (GB) a phone has.

Besides:
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966955+42
94953566&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct&

If I wanted more sortage than I can put on flash cards, I'd breing a lap-top. OTOH: this is the class of phone I use: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-Stature-i9-US-EN

- Reduced variety of i/o ports.

In this day and age, you would be hard pressed to suggest a cell
phone needs more than a 1 maybe 2 USB ports.

I consider there to be a big difference between a cell phone and a
smart phone. A cell phone is for making calls, and for those, I agree
with you. But a smartphone is a PDA that also makes cell calls, and
that changes things. Plus, I was kind of talking both smartphone and
iPad-style stuff.

In this day and age, you would be hard pressed to suggest a smart phone/PDA needs more than a 1 maybe 2 USB ports. You might, just maybe, talk me into believing that an HDMI port could be handy. But that would really push it.

- Reduced or eliminated potential for expandability.

Aside from a memeory card, name one things you've ever known someone
else to want to add to a phone?

- Headphone jack
- Audio line-input

Many have the first and the second wouldn't be hard to add to the same jack

- User's choice of portable Keyboard

USB

- TV Out (for picture/video-viewing, and there's a million different
kinds
of TV-Out these days)

USB can do that, and at the image quality a smart phone can drive it wouldn't be a bottle neck.

- GPS

You would be hard pressed to find a (cell) phone that doesn't have that hardware already.

- Back before built-in cameras became common, I could have said
"camera".
All just off the top of my head, there's probably others.

And as I pointed out to Walter, are those things you want to ADD or do you want them in there to begin with?

--
... <IXOYE><