On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a@a.a> wrote:

> Renderware, Gamebryo, Unity, Vision Engine, and none-engine stuff like
> Havok, Although I admit I wouldn't know anything about maketshare.

Well RenderWare doesn't exist anymore, "Bing Gordon, an EA executive,
has stated that RenderWare didn't perform well enough for
next-gen[clarification needed] and that RenderWare didn't stand up to
competition from Epic Games. He has also stated that the RenderWare
team is "mostly a dev house" (indicating that EA is reluctant to still
use RenderWare).", Gamebryo at last I heard was no longer developed
since the parent company went bust, Unity is really an indie outfit,
and I don't know much about Vision Engine.

There's also no way you could write Havok in D since nobody would
purchase middleware they couldn't use in their existing codebases.
(with their existing tools, too)

If you wanted to break into Unity's market (good luck with that)
though, D might be a reasonable choice. Although the language
flexibility of Mono seems to be working in their favor.