On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Sean Kelly <s...@invisibleduck.org> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Xavier wrote:
>
>> Peter Alexander wrote:
>>> I recently stumbled across this (old) blog post:
>>> http://prog21.dadgum.com/13.html
>>>
>>> In summary, the author asks if you were offered $100,000,000 for some
>>> big software project,
>>
>> While this is a "silly little hypothetical thread" (and it is Friday
>> afterall so that probably explains the OP), I cannot fathom that amount
>> being spent on just software on one project (though I've worked on one
>> system, i.e., software + hardware, project worth 10's of millions). Maybe
>> someone here can? Examples please, or give the largest one you can think
>> of (it can be hypothetical). Remember, it's just software, not a system.
>
> Top-tier computer game budgets are tens of millions of dollars.

Writing a AAA game in D would mean fixing a whole bunch of D, way
easier to stick to what's proven.

You'd have to disable the collector or make it better than every
existing one, which in turn means you're not using most of the
standard library. This is OK though since AAA games generally don't
use standard library stuff anyway. You'd have to fix the codegen too
(or maybe develop further ldc or gdc) and build new tools for just
about everything.

So basically sure you could do anything with enough money, but why
would you do it the hard way?