On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:19:49 -0400, Era Scarecrow <rtcv...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Apparently not. http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/ydn/posts/2010/10/how-many-users-have-javascript-disabled/

I'm perfectly willing to give up on 1-2% of Internet users who have JS disabled.

I use NoScript, so by default my JS is disabled for 99% of the sites I go to. That means you'll give up on me? Hmm :(

Yep. Sorry to be harsh about it, but if you really don't want to use my application the way it's intended, I have no way of helping you.

No, it *is* the point. As a web developer, javascript is used by the vast majority of users, so I assume it can be used. If you don't like that, I guess that's too bad for you, you may go find content elsewhere. It's not worth my time to cater to you.

Unfortunately I need to disagree with you there. JS although is nice sometimes, I find more often a pain in the butt rather than a help. NoScript shows on quite a few sites that they have some 10 or 20 sites they reference JS scripts from, which doesn't make sense. half of those sites tend to be statistic gathering sites, which I don't particularly trust. Actually I don't trust a lot of sites.

In the case of my web apps, they do *not* pull JS from other sites. I understand and sympathize with your rationale. It's just not enough, however, to make web developers who want their site to appear a certain way care about the market share that your opinion represents. I'm perfectly willing to lose 1-2% of users in order to *not* test browsers in all kinds of weird configurations. It's the same reason most web sites test only with the major browsers.

It's like saying you think cell phones are evil, and refuse to get one. But then complain that there are no pay phones for you to use, and demand businesses install pay phones in case people like you want to use them.

Maybe... I consider myself simple and practical; I use features and items that serve their purpose (Usually specific). I enjoy a simple cell phone, no bells, no whistles. Give me access to dialing a number, hold a small list of names and numbers I dial recently or enter in, time and date. That's all I ever want. Instead they are pushing cell phones that are actually mini-computers (Android and smart phones); Nothing wrong with that I guess, but I just want a phone, nothing special.

In the same regard you can compare that people could refuse to use a phone booth unless it has a computer hooked up, internet access, use it to check email and browse while you talk, or doesn't allow you to send text messages and enter a quarter to send it, and doesn't have a camera you can snap a picture of yourself to show how good or drunk you are to your friends.

This situation (where payphones were obsolete) existed long before the smartphone craze.

-Steve