"so" <s...@so.so> wrote in message
news:rxuivgogjashzlkee...@forum.dlang.org...
> Thank you all!
>
> On Thursday, 15 March 2012 at 17:30:49 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Thursday, 15 March 2012 at 07:09:39 UTC, so wrote:
>>> If so Lisp will be my first choice.
>>
>> I just talked about D because D rox, but if you are doing
>> it for education, Lisp is a good choice because it is fairly
>> unique.
>
> I'd love to use D but it is not an option is it? At least for the things i
> am after, say game scripting.

I've often thought about it. What you would do is compile & load the
"script" sections as dynamic libraries. Then, even the game engine itself
could just invoke the command-line statement to compile the "script" to a
dynamic library, and then reload the new dynamic library.

Quake 2 used DLLs instead of a "scripting" language.

As for other langauges:

Lua is currently *king* for game scripting. It's used all over the gaming
industry because it's fast and integrates with C very easily. Personally, I
don't like it because it *is* a dynamic langauge. But if you're looking for
a dynamic language, well, then there's that.

Back in the 90's, the game Abuse famously had all its gameplay code written
in LISP. It's been open-sourced, so you can can find the source and look
through it.