On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:09:41 -0700, Nick Sabalausky <seewebsitetocontac...@semitwist.com> wrote:

"Nick Sabalausky" <seewebsitetocontac...@semitwist.com> wrote in message
news:jpe6kk$235b$1...@digitalmars.com...
"Nick Sabalausky" <seewebsitetocontac...@semitwist.com> wrote in message
news:jpe4ru$13e8$1...@digitalmars.com...
"David Nadlinger" <s...@klickverbot.at> wrote in message
news:lvpmnrfdyinxvkzus...@forum.dlang.org...
GitHub have just released their Windows GUI for Git/GitHub:

http://windows.github.com/

Although I'm not sure if it really stands up to the promise of
being »the easiest way to use Git on Windows«, it might be interesting
to some of you who prefer to rather not be bothered with the inner
workings of Git.

The release announcement is at:
https://github.com/blog/1127-github-for-windows.

Finally!

I still don't understand what posessd them to do a Mac version first.
Nobody uses Mac.

Jesus, it's almost as bad as their web interface. I don't know how the
hell they managed that, I'd think you have to *try* to make a desktop app
that bad.

Upon initial startup: "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in
GitHub.exe". Great.

Then it runs anyway? But there's *no* titlebar whatsoever. And everything
else about it is the most poorly-implemented custom-UI I've ever come
across. Gratuitus amounts of wasted space. Controls that behave...wrong
and don't even look *at all* like what they're supposed to be (*that* is
supposed to be a scroll-bar?). Constant...shit...popping up every time you
touch the mouse. And as far as looks, I'd say it's the ugliest program
I've used since Chrome, but honesty - it's really is uglier than even
that. They actually managed to make things like Steam and modern *Adobe*
UIs seem decent! I didn't think that was even *possible* without VB3.

And on top of that, it's *still* bloatware-city.

Seriously, I could *swear* they made this stupid thing in flash. That
actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

OTOH, I completely understand now why it started out on Mac. No doubt it
would fit right in there.

Oh, and the final nail in the coffin, big enough to make everything else
completely irrelevent? You can't even use it to do *anything* with
GitHub-hosted repos other than list *your* repos, view the readme, and
make a local clone. And you can't even choose *where* to put the local
clone! Seriously? What a completely useless turd of a *cough*"program".

Bah. Fuck GitHub. Head up their asses just as far as Google.

Hah, and as if all that wan't bad enough, I just noticed on the announcement
page that it *cough*"features" "silent, automated updates". I get the
impression this is the sort of program where updates would likely just make
things worse.

Oh and also on the announcement page: "No-options installation!", like
*programmers* are expected to be too stupid to hande standard installation
options? Jeez, "know your audience", people.

At least it uninstalled easily enough.

Having been the MS Build conference it is pretty obvious to me that they are trying to build a 'Metro' or WinRT compatible UI. Given their love of all things Apple, this would make sense as WinRT is MS's response to iOS.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender