There is no other comparable system (hardware/software combination) to
Pactor because no other mode is as adaptable and gets through under fairly
poor conditions (which are very common on HF) but can still ramp up to
reasonably good speeds when the conditions are excellent if you have P2 or
P3.

SCAMP has the potential to compete with Pactor. At this point it is only a
potential because:

1) The Winlink owners completely control who gets to do what and when with
the WL servers. My understanding is that WL2K code is not shared with others
and is only available to the selected stations as a remotely controlled
download. I know that this is true with the non-published ARES-PMBOs. There
have been additional requests to host SCAMP but they have been turned down
at this time. Currently, there are only three SCAMP servers (PMBO's) and all
are located the U.S. There is a strong desire to maintain the current Pactor
modes since that is what most of the users have now and I suspect will have
even a decade from now.

Years ago the Winlink system (all RF, not the same thing as the Winlink 2000
system of today) was able to handle up to three different modes, Amtor,
Pactor I, and Clover II on many of the servers although it was a pain from
the setup descriptions. RTTY Digital Journal used to have info on this. So
it is possible to do.

2) If we don't get the bandwidth to expand semi-automatic stations wider
than 500 Hz, it would be difficult to find enough room on HF for connecting
to automated servers due to the narrow subbands for the wider modes. Pactor
II can of course still operate, as it has for many years since it is under
500 Hz. SCAMP would be very limited since it requires close to a voice width
channel.

In terms of MT-63 and MFSK16, I have asked the principal current WL2K
developer about incorporating a much more robust, albeit, very slow speed
fall back transmission into SCAMP. This would pass traffic even when Pactor
would be inoperative. But he indicated that he looked at these and did not
find them acceptable. Apparently the speed was the concern. The use of some
new RDFT protocols along with the inclusion of even some WinDRM code gives
me great concern. The baud rates are still at a high 122 with RDFT and I
could not convince him to use something around 60 or less:( And WinDRM is
not noted for its weak signal ability either.

This may prove to be unfortunate since multipath distortion, especially on
the lower bands, is the norm and high baud rates make it harder to get the
signal through. It is also true that for random noise (AWGN) the shorter
symbols (higher baud rates) can actually work better. This is why Pactor
modes are so robust. They picked a compromise speed of 100 baud for the
lowest baud rate and then use significant amounts of error correction to
make it work better than you would expect for such a  high baud rate.

By the way, Paul, K9PS, is still working on an ARQ version of MT-63 but we
have not heard anything for a few months now. If you could "pipeline" MT-63
like Rick, KN6KB did for SCAMP, I think you would have a reasonably good
mode for weak signals. While there are apparently some folks who honestly
believe that you can use a non-error free mode for messaging, I am not one
of them:)