There is an active digital system in NTS called NTSD employing Winlink software and coverage from area to area.
Many NTS operators keyboard into these NTSD stations but the main problem as always is getting the trafic delivered
locally. It makes no sense to be able to relay trafic via HF digital but end up having to take it to the manual nets. We are always looking for additional stations
to join us either locally or as NTSD stations. All it takes is an HF rig, a computer and a TNC capable of at least Pactor I  ( the later versions of the
AEA PK-232 will work. If interested please respond via e mail.

Dave Struebel WB2FTX Eastern Area Digital Cooridinator NTSD

Tim Gorman wrote:
The ARRL folks should not be shocked at what has happened. When they negotiate
agreements with other agencies (e.g. the American Red Cross) that prevent
amateurs from collecting outgoing message traffic at emergency shelters, what
do they expect?

The ARRL admitted in one of the latest QST's (Nov I think) that they AGREED
with the Red Cross decision during Katrina to not let hams collect traffic in
Red Cross shelters destined for loved ones from evacuees.

As for routine traffic, there are lots of messages that have a reasonable
delivery time that can be handled by the NTS. The ARRL needs to get off their
duff and start being cheerleaders for this type of operation instead of being
only cheerleaders for handling emergency agency operational and logistical
traffic.

I disagree that the only way this will work for digital is if it can be done
on a store-and-forward basis. Your prediction is probably true as long as the
ARRL and others continue to cast routine traffic as being unnecessary and a
waste of time to handle.

Especially in emergency situations, it is being able to get the message
delivered that is important, not that it be done within 10 minutes. People
waited days to find out about relatives in Katrina. Outgoing welfare traffic
from that area could have been sent and delivered by hams much quicker than
that.

Even routine birthday notices, christmas greetings, and just plain hello's
don't require delivery within 10 minutes. And for someone that doesn't
remember an email address or even a telephone number, amateur radio still
provides a reasonable alternative.

psk nets can operate at least as efficiently as the old RTTY nets used to. I
suspect they can operate better since it is easier to manage frequencies and
to dispatch sender/receiver pairs off-frequency than during the old RTTY
nets.

The real kicker will be the number of people that are willing to dedicate the
time and effort to make such a system work. Even when traffic nets were valid
alternatives to the telephone system (e.g. late 50's to early 70's), the
percentage of hams that were dedicated to traffic handling, even on a
part-time basis, was small. Since digital operation is only about 10% of the
total operations today, my guess is that the number of hams willing to make a
digital system work will be insignificant.

I suspect that if you did a survey on this list you would get no more than 1
or 2 people interested in doing routine traffic handling no matter how
important the traffic is.

Tim ab0wr