>>>AA6YQ comments below

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, John Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dave correct me if I'm wrong.

>>>You're wrong; corrections follow.

Your purpose in life is 2 things (as I read your post).

1. to see that all software can tell if a frequency is already in
use.

2. that the auto stations have their own sub-band.

>>>Neither of these come anywhere close to my purpose in life, John.
With respect to amateur radio, which is one of several recreational
activities I enjoy, I believe that

A. no station should transmit on a busy frequency; this applies
equally to attended, unattended, semi-automatic, and automatic
stations.

B. the operator of any station that habitually transmits on busy
frequencies should promptly lose his or her license; to facilitate
self-policing, every automatic station must identify in cleartext CW
at the beginning of each N minute interval of operation.

>>>Originally, I suggested restricting to sub-bands those stations
incapable of listening before transmitting; this would have
encouraged operators of automatic stations to upgrade by
incorporating listen-before-transmit capability. This proposal would
have legalized transmission-without-listening within those sub-
bands; attended operation within these sub-bands would thus have
been impractical, but not illegal.

>>>Discussions on this reflector led me to the simpler "no sub-
bands, no mercy" proposal represented by A and B above.

Having said that, if you get your way with number 2 you don't really
need number 1. (If they are in their sub-band)

>>>You're critiquing a proposal I never made.

QOTD (question of the day)

If there was a sub-band just for the auto stations why would
anyone go in there ? Knowing that they will get QRM'ed.
As it is now you *may* get QRM'ed.

>>>If the FCC were to restrict automatic stations without listen-
before-transmit capability to sub-bands, thereby legalizing transmit-
without-listening in those frequency ranges, then obviously everyone
not compelled to operate in those sub-bands would avoid them like
the plague.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ