If I'm hunting a clear spot to call CQ and there's a clear frequency
in the automatic sub-bands, I should be able to call CQ there
without fear of later being QRM'd by an automatic station that
doesn't listen before transmitting.

Were there a bandplan that suggested these sub-bands be exclusively
used by specific modes or control schemes (e.g. remote initiation),
then I would of course conform. But the governing bandplan is
woefully obsolete:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html

According to this band plan, the only protocol allowed in the
automatic sub-bands is Packet.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, David Struebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think the title of this string should be changed. Most of the
comments
> have really no idea of the difference between
> NTSD running "Classic Winlink" in the auto control subbands and
Winlink
> 2000.   I operate within the auto control subbands
> in automatic mode connecting to other NTSD stations.... Although
no one
> "owns" a frequency, I would not operate outside of these subbands
> and possibly interfere with another QSO in a another digital
mode.....
> you have plenty of space to operate. It would appear that
operation of
> other modes
> in the autocontrol subands is deliberately inviting a
confrontation.