This looks like another proof that busy detection is feasible with
soundcard software. If you don't mind, Andy, please check its ability
to detect CW and RTTY.

The difference between asking "is this frequency in use?",
sending "QRL?" in CW, and an ALE sounding is that few human operators
will recognize the latter, much less decode it rapidly enough to
respond. "QRL?" in CW is something that human operators either
already know or could easily learn to recognize; it'd be an effective
way for automatic stations to actively determine whether a frequency
is already in use.

As for Winlink, most Winlink users employ a TNC that does not support
busy detection. Had SCAMP worked, and had someone developed a forcing
function to drive Winlink users off those TNCs and onto SCAMP, then
busy detection would be available in WinLink too.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien"