> Andrew O'Brien wrote:
> Within PC-ALE there is a setting called "Voice Detect", I had not
> checked that box.  I can confirm that with that box checked PC-ALE
> never transmitted when scanning 550, 740 and 860 KHZ.
>
> I then modified my settings to scan frequencies with lower signal
> levels, 7120, 10000, and 14300.   PC-ALE transmitted on 7120 , no
> signal present, but did not transmit on WWV's freq or on 14300.
>
> I need to play around more but it seems so far that PC-ALE does NOT
> transmit if the frequency is busy. How Charles accomplished this but
> the Winlink 2000 folks did not,  is puzzling to me.
>
> If the frequency sounds clear but actually is not (perhaps one end of
> a QSO is not audible but the other will be when it is there turn) ,
> what would be the difference between someone on SSB  saying "is this
> frequency in use ?" and an ALE sounding?  They both last about the
> same time.  If one uses PSK31 or something like Olivia , sending "is
> this frequency in use?" would actually take longer than an ALE
> sounding.
>
> I can't join the "channelizing" debate because I don;t quite get it,
> but the early results are that PC-ALE does not transmit if a signal is
> present.  I think I will next test 14070 14075 and see if PC-ALE
> detects PSK31 and other digital modes and avoids transmitting.

The most critical difference between a SSB or AM or CW or FM op
calling "QRZ the Frequency?" or the like -- hearing nothing they
go ahead and transmit -- is that they generally unkey their mike
and engage their ears so if they weren't heard or didn't hear
they will quickly hear someone advise them of a busy freq.

Can PC-ALE compensate for a first-pass bad read on a busy
frequency or does it then shift gears and pound away no
matter what?

A 200ms test for any and all transmissions which fails to
detect a busy frequency is likely to miss a lot -- unless the
busy frequency detect remains activated and frequently checks
for a missed QSO or a Break Break or a SOS or a MAYDAY ...

WDYT?

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E