Hopefully, there will be a shift toward more open software which would
be more in line with amateur radio tradition.

The Winlink 2000 folks keep everything proprietary up to this point.
That even includes the old software such as Winlink. From what we can
tell, Winlink 2000 has one main programmer who is very accomplished, but
one person can only do so much. There may be one other person working
with them but it is not clear and they are not open to discussion.

SCAMP actually uses components from Linux and uses GPL'd software such
as RDFT. But it is hard to tell what future software would be used. It
has been a year or two since any development was done on SCAMP that has
been openly discussed.

The one ARQ mode currently available for sound card use is the Linux
based PSKmail.  Even Linux sound card Pactor I may not work as well as
hardware versions, although I wonder if the much more powerful computers
of today might help remediate that.

The huge breakthrough that SCAMP provided  in addition to the busy
channel detect capability, was the "pipelined" ARQ which eliminated the
computer timing issues. After all it worked fabulously well (with a good
signal) on Windows XP.

Pipelining also means that when you ARQ a mode, it doesn't appreciably
slow down the throughput, although it will increase latency somewhat
since the software is working on the last packet of data while the next
packet is being received.

It is my view that the amateur radio community can best benefit when we
have cross platform products that interoperate.