Dave,

If a sound card implementation worked well, it would not be difficult to
move the Winlink 2000 system towards SCAMP. During the beta testing
about a year and a half ago, several PMBO's were readily set up to
handle SCAMP (Sound Card Amateur Messaging Protocol). It would not have
been difficult to add more of these "bridge" stations that move traffic
between amateur radio and the internet. And there would be many users
who would be added.

Having said that, those who are not happy with the current activity of
Winlink 2000, probably will be more unhappy if SCAMP, or some similar
mode is ever developed since it could cause some serious congestion on
the ham bands. Even with busy channel detect, it is not unreasonable
that traffic through such systems could go up a great deal.

Those who have already "invested" in the expensive SCS boxes would be
loath to discontinue their use and for now we can expect that no sound
card mode can eclipse the SCS Pactor implementation so there would be
two parallel systems. This was done in the past when both Clover II and
Pactor I were used in the original Winlink system over a decade ago.
While some PMBO's may have been dedicated to one mode, some were able to
switch appropriately to either mode when the selcal was transmitted.