From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:58 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: PC-ALE Signal Detect Before Transmitting: An
Experiment

I've not seen any signs of pent-up demand for WinLink that would be
unleashed if only a soundcard-based solution were available. Sure,
new users would choose the cheaper soundcard solution over a TNC
solution, but there would be no reason for current population of TNC
users to switch. Thus the uptake would be modest and the impact low --
 making it difficult to get anyone excited about doing the
development.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> If a sound card implementation worked well, it would not be
difficult to
> move the Winlink 2000 system towards SCAMP. During the beta testing
> about a year and a half ago, several PMBO's were readily set up to
> handle SCAMP (Sound Card Amateur Messaging Protocol). It would not
have
> been difficult to add more of these "bridge" stations that move
traffic
> between amateur radio and the internet. And there would be many
users
> who would be added.
>
> Having said that, those who are not happy with the current activity
of
> Winlink 2000, probably will be more unhappy if SCAMP, or some
similar
> mode is ever developed since it could cause some serious congestion
on
> the ham bands. Even with busy channel detect, it is not
unreasonable