>If I were a company technology officer, of a company who's purpose was
>developing communications technology...or the technology officer for
>amateur radio, I would be very dis-heartened at the data
>protocols/modes/modems produces as well as the HF E-Mail applications
>developed. None are really as robust as the should/could be, none of the
>sound card modes have the throughput that they should and there are is no
>really good HF E-Mail program that is based on the capability of operating
>"stand-alone" without using the Internet.

Walt,

You have pointed out a basic principle with respect to data
throughput.  Throughput is a function of bandwidth, power, and
coding.  With amateur HF we are power, and bandwidth limited.  The nature
of the media we are opening in makes forward error correction a must, thus
we suffer a loss of throughput because of coding.  The very robust modes
like MT63 and Olivia require interleaving and convolutional
coding.  Compare MT63 and Olivia with RDFT or amateur DRM.  RDFT and DRM
are great modes, but requires a fairly high S/N ratio.  The challenge is
there, but the solution is far from easy.

73,

Mark N5RFX