Hi Dave,

I might point out that the Winlink system is a total HF solution and
operated for many years. The owners of the system felt that this system
was too slow and wanted a system that would operate primarily with
e-mail connectivity. This developed into Winlink 2000 and removed much
of the HF traffic off the ham bands and unto the internet. Of course
such a system doesn't work if the internet fails, but the assumption is
that can never happen except over a small area at any one time.

The Winlink system (some call it Winlink Classic) which evolved from the
earlier Aplink system is used for some MARS activity, or was at one
time, and it is also the same software that is used for the ARRL NTS/D
system. The software is no longer maintained and the Winlink 2000 folks
no longer want it used by anyone and have made some rather forceful
comments to put it mildly.

Therefore, there is a vacuum at the moment for a system that will work
RF when needed and still can send via the internet for e-mail in those
cases where you want increased speed and the ability to deliver to
non-amateur radio addresses. Ideally, it would work in a similar manner
to a decentralized system such as PSKmail which is not dependent upon
one system run on the internet. Some would say that the downside of
PSKmail type systems is that it can not be controlled by a few hams and
would be available to anyone to set up as they chose to do so. This
would be less structured along the lines of open software, however, my
view is that is much closer to the tradition of ham radio.