Hi Mark,

The ARQ is really important. You really should have this for serious
messaging via RF and must have it if you want to interface with a
mailbox system or internet. Even one bad character trashes everything
when negotiating a menu. Those who are OT's with Amtor know what I mean.
I used to be so frustrating trying to use Amtor even though signals were
still fairly good but you could not get anywhere with a message storage
bbs as there were slight errors at the edges of what Amtor could still
operate. Amtor was not a very good ARQ mode when condx got a bit bad.
Pactor I did not seem to have this problem. It would just fail, even
with signals still observable by ear.

With ARQ, you can work deeper into the noise and still get some traffic
through. My preference is to have modest FEC and then the ARQ. It amazes
me that hams and especially developers are not truly excited about this.
Rick, KN6KB has shown the way to get a pipelined ARQ method and
eliminate the bottleneck that everyone claimed made ARQ not possible on
PC's. I realize that there are only a few dozen hams who have the
knowlege and can actually do this, but it only takes one to make it happen.

I can not describe the thrill I got when using the beta SCAMP software.
It is just so cool to watch something work so well from a soundcard at
modest signal strengths. All we need is a bit lower (-5?) S/N mode that
can scale upwards when condx are good enough and yet scale downwards
when you have to in order to get  some throughput.

I am not very knowledgeable on CRF (Crest Factors). Can you give us an
idea of converting peak power/average power into CRF?

My understanding is that Pactor 2 has a CRF of 1.45 and if I understand
things correctly, many of the raised cosine modulation schemes are
similar. Am I correct that the rectangular waveforms have a CRF of 1
since square waves have a crest factor of 1?

I understand that Pactor 3 has quite a variable CRF depending upon the
number of tones:

1DBPSK = 1.9
3 DBPSK = 3.1
6 DBPSK = 5.7

Meanwhile, MT-63 has a large ratio between peak and average power. So
that means it has a very high crest factor?