From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 9:00 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: ARQ sound card modes

Your characterization of Linux as further from real-time than older
operating systems is inaccurate, Rick. See

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8073314981.html

http://www.mvista.com/products/realtime.html

http://www.realtimelinuxfoundation.org/

http://source.mvista.com/linux_2_6_RT.html

http://www.timesys.com/

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is kind of ironic that MS-OS and Linux-OS are further from Real
Time
> OS's than the older software. But even with a +/- 10 ms time (worst
case
> 20 ms from one extreme to the other), wouldn't you just have to
have a
> little bit longer "window" than existing ARQ modes in order to
succeed?

> I think the main thing I am asking is ... how long a window do you
need?
> Pactor uses a 170 ms. idle time.  Since the timing from a computer
(20
> ms maximum error) is not able to switch a transceiver fast enough
for
> Pactor,  would 20 times longer than the maximum error be enough?
Ergo,
> 20 x 20 ms = 400 ms window or idle time?
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U
>

> Patrick Lindecker wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >When we were on MS-DOS PC (good old time HI), the clock (and all
the hardware in fact) was accessible by program (through registers)
and it was easy to determine the error of the PC cristal. I measured
in several MS-DOS PC an error of more or less 1/3000, which was not
very good, but I suppose it was not really indipensable to be precise
for a PC.
> >I suppose that the modern PC have the same relative uncertainty.
> >
> >I have seen, thanks to Sholto G7TMG, that under Windows the time
can be very precise (down to 100 nanoseconds) but only 64 times by
second, and there is no interpolation between each sample. So the
uncertainty in a Windows PC is +/- 7.81ms which rules out ARQ Pactor
and Amtor in a Windows PC.

> > 73
> >Patrick

<*> Your email settings: