Where can I get an SCS Pactor "TNC" for $300 with the license to run Pactor
III?  I WILL buy one.

Walt/K5YFW

-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:28 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: ARQ sound card modes

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, John Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I knew that.
> So is my AEA TNC that I got back in 1988....
>
> Bottom line - there is  *NO* computer running software with out
> any hardware (TNC) that will do the same  right?

>>>Wrong. SCAMP, a protocol that employs ARQ to attain reliable
delivery, was implemented on a Windows PC with a soundcard rather
than an outboard TNC. SCAMP was specifically design to tolerate the
long delays caused by the lack of pre-emptive scheduling in Windows.

>>>Could Pactor-3 be implemented on a modern PC with a soundcard?
Yes, but not with Windows as the operating system. Has anyone done
this? No -- it would make no economic sense when you can buy a TNC
for $300.

>>>Most TNCs are based on microprocessors, some augmented by digital
signal processors; both of these devices are controlled by software.
While such systems certainly incorporate hardware, they are not
hardware-only solutions.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

<*> Your email settings: