--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ed wrote:
>
> > Are there any communications engineers in this group that can
> > give us some idea whether a useable quality digitized voice can
be
> > sent over a 2.5 KHz wide HF channel with SNR comparable to or
less > than
> > what is required for analog voice?
>
> I was thinking about this today Ed. I'd sacrifice a bit of voice
qaulity for
> better SNR performance.
>
> WinDRM defaults to the MELP codec and I was wondering if the SPEEX
or LP-10
> offer an improvement in SNR performance?
>
> Tony KT2Q

Tony,

The key to better weak signal performance will be primarily in how
the data is sent over the air.  Observing the signal for digital
SSTV on 20M has been very interesting.  Often a hole in the spectrum
can be observed as it moves across the spectrum.  It takes out about
20% of the spectrum and has a time span at one frequency of around a
second.  The packaging of the data must be done with enough
redundancy spread throughout the spectrum so it can be recovered in
spite of these spectrum holes.  On 80M atmospheric noise tends to
have short impulses that take out the entire signal for much shorter
periods of time - much less than a second.  To mitigate this, the
data redundancy must be spread over time so the data can be
recovered in spite of a complete loss of signal for a few
milliseconds.

Of course adding redundancy means reducing the data rate for the
encoded voice data.  This would probably require some adjustments to
the voice coding algorithm.  With cellular signals, although the
maximum data rate may be 8K bps, the effective rate is usually less
than 1/2 that due to the fact that speech is not a constant signal -
there are holes in it for short periods of time during which no data
needs to be sent.

Can someone tell where to find the specification for the modulation
format used by WinDRM?

Ed
WB6YTE

<*> Your email settings: