Yea, but that 100 word message could have been sent in about 3 minutes
using 30 wpm CW.  I've done both, and the SSB'ers have a hard time
understanding that CW is that much faster than voice.  Almost what you
quote for the 300 baud text data, and in a much smaller bandwidth.

Also, using your info, a 300 baud modem can send 100 words in 3
minutes, while a 2400 baud modem can do it in one minute.  That's
about a 3:1 ratio.  Yet I suspect the bandwidth will be 4 to 5 times
as much and maybe 8 times as much, i.e. 2400 baud divided by 300 baud.

I'm not sure the tradeoff's are good ones in a shared spectrum
environment where people are competing for space.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ah ha...well Bonnie I see that I am not the only one who is looking
at the overall picture of band usage.

> Here is an example of what I saw in the military...
>
> SSB voice took 10 minutes to pass a 100 word message between really
seasoned radio operators on an HF channel typical of most Q4-5 amateur
radio QSOs.

> When they went to 300 baud text data, they send the same message in
2 or 3 minutes and sometimes 3 or 4 when they had to repeat the
message...this was again with Q4-5 signals.  The modem was not much
more than a Bell 103 modem.

> With a MIL-STD-188-110 16 tone modem at 2400 baud, the message took
1 or 2 minutes and only every 5-6 messages was a it necessary to
repeat a message.

> The band/channel usage went from 1=10 to 9 0r 9=10...almost a ten
fold increase in band/channel usage.

> Today those same units are using 9600 BPS data and sending one page
of text in a couple of minutes or sometimes "booking" messages and
sending 20-50 messages at one time.

> The higher the throughput and mode robust the mode, the less channel
usage there is going to be at a fixed amount of data.

> For testing of any text mode or DV mode, a standard text should be
adopted.

> Walt/K5YFW

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional