<getting on my soap box>

But 90% of my communicators are tech's and myself or other general class ham
operates as the control operator. Most only got there tech license so they
could volunteer as communicators and would never have gotten their license if
would have had to learn CW.

Here's an example of how amateur radio can assist.

Locally I need a radio operator 24X7 for 21-28 day disasters for 40 sites (just
shelters for children who have severe medical problems...not general public
shelters...that's the Red Corss' problem).  If only 1/2 can get off work, etc,
then I need 120 operators (3 per day per site) and twice that many (280) if
only 1/2 can get off.

For our deployment teams who may travel across 2 or 3 states, we need 120
operators, 2 per site for 60+ teams and hopefully all general class...but they
never are.

There is NO WAY that our organization or the Red Cross or Salvation Army or
even military can provide that number of operators and besides the cost of
commercial radio equipment is way beyond the means for any of the disaster
relief organizations.  You cannot buy this kind of communications.

Trying to use CW, while I agree is the best way, isn't going to realistically
meet the needs...but if we don't (provide adequate communications), watch the
general public scream that the government isn't providing the proper kind of
communications.

Its not equipment...its trained radio operators.

Thanks,

<getting off my soap box>

73,

Walt/K5YFW