And that is how this discussion started.  There is
already a framework for that kind of communication.
It is now operating.  Check out 14.098 LSB, 10.147
LSB, 10.141 LSB, 7105.USB , or 7100.5 LSB and you will
see "skipnets" operating by radio only, using 300
baud, fully frequency flexible in case of emergency
need, and handling bulletin and personal messages
every day.  We are not short of the framework for such
a system...just people that wish to keep it alive.
But the lure of the internet makes it seem too much
work and too slow, so the framework erodes.

I remember when I first started in message handling lo
those many years ago, the thing that struck me was the
saying that it wasn't the message that was important,
it was exercising the system.  That is still true.

73  Mark   KQ0I
Des Moines, Iowa

--- John Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree with Bill, there is a need for a short haul
> message system such as winlink, or a 300baud system
> which could work into an internet gateway
> For example, an area hit with tornado or other
> natural disaster which would disable the internet in
> the immediate area.
>
> This should work on HF since there may be instances
> where the gap may be several hundred miles, so 80/40
> would work.
> In our part of north America, sparsley populated
> this could be a very real need.
>
> John
> VE5MU

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.