From what the Winlink 2000 owners have said in the past, they want to
control at least two frequencies per band in order to maximize access to
their scanning automatic stations.

There is no question that they consider the Winlink 2000 system to be
much more important than contacts between two human operators since
K4CJX has claimed their system saves lives and helps world governments
find many missing ships at sea, provides vital weather reports, etc.

When we beta tested SCAMP, the detection system covered the entire
bandwidth to be used. SCAMP had a constant width of around 2 kHz, but
for anyone using a Pactor 3 modem with busy frequency detection, they
would need to insure the frequency was clear for the entire width of the
maximum 18 tones, or else would have to have some kind of adaptive
detection system that determined if it was possible to widen the band width.